Clomiphene citrate (Clomid or Serophene) is a type of medication commonly used for infertility treatment. This drug is used to induce ovulation in women that do not develop and release an egg through ovulation on their own. Women who are anovulatory (do not ovulate without medications) often have medical conditions that alter hormone production, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome.
In certain cases, the use of Clomid increases the number of eggs released. Clomid works through an anti-estrogen” mechanisms that trick the brain into believing estrogen levels in the body are low. The drug does this by binding to estrogen receptors in the brain, blocking the ability of estrogen to bind and work. The brain, believing the body has low estrogen, releases GnRH hormone, which goes to the pituitary gland, stimulating the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This hormone stimulates the development of a mature follicle (egg structure) in the ovary.
How to take Clomid for Twins
If you are considering Clomid twins, the average ovulation occurs on days 10 through 14. This occurs after completing a course of Clomid pills. This varies a bit, depending on whether the woman ovulates regularly or not. Some women will ovulate before 10 days and some after 14 days. The protocol for taking Clomid is different for women who do not ovulate and those who have regular menstrual cycles.
After taking Clomid for twins, you should consider the best time for intercourse. Ovulatory kids are available at supermarkets and drugstores, and they are urine tests that women do at home. These ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) are designed to detect the presence of a woman’s LH surge. This surge begins around 36 hours before ovulation. The prediction kits are done once a day, and when positive, then sex should be that day or the following morning.
Best Days to take Clomid for Twins
The best days to take Clomid are 7-14 days after the medications begin. The ovulation prediction kit test is done each day. The egg lifespan is around 12-24 hours, and the woman has a 32-day cycle on Clomid, then she will ovulate around day 18. Ovulation occurs 14 days before the onset of the next menstrual cycle. The sperm can live in the female reproductive tract for 3-5 days, but the egg’s lifespan is only 12-24 hours. Therefore, intercourse a day or two before ovulation is fine, but sex 24 hours after ovulation will not help.
A typical Clomid cycle is day 10-14 of the cycle (five days before anticipated ovulation). However, when the woman has a 32- to 36-day cycle, this could be extended to days 10-18. Clomid cycles are usually monitored using follicle ultrasound scans and blood hormone levels. The blood hormone levels are done to determine the timing of intrauterine insemination (IUI) or sexual intercourse.
What is the percentage of conceiving multiples or twins on Clomid? In a large clinical study involving women taking Clomid, researchers found that 92% of pregnancies resulted in singletons (one baby), but 7% resulted in twins. The chances of having triplets was less than 1%, and quadruplets or more were very rare.
Clomid has an 80% success rate for ovulation, but only half of these women become pregnant. The limits of Clomid success involve altered endometrial effects and cervical mucus changes. However, taking Clomid increases a woman’s chances of having twins. According to statistics, Clomid can increase the chance of twins by 10%.