The term ‘Primary infertility’ describes that a couple has not been able to conceive a pregnancy after at least 1 year of attempting to do so through unprotected intercourse.
Primary infertility can be caused due to both physical and emotional factors.
Female infertility may occur in the following situations –
- Ovulation problems
- Inability of the eggs to move from the ovaries to the womb
- Inability of the fertilized egg to attach to the lining of the uterus
- The fertilized egg or embryo fails to survive even after attaching to the lining of the womb (uterus)
Female infertility may be caused by –
- Autoimmune disorders
- Birth defects of the reproductive tract
- Cancer or tumor
- Clotting disorders
- Excessive smoking or alcohol consumption
- Exercising too much
- Eating disorders or poor nutrition
- Growths (such as fibroids or polyps) in the uterus and cervix
- Medicines such as chemotherapy drugs
- Hormone imbalances
- Surgery to prevent pregnancy (tubal ligation) or failure of tubal ligation reversal (reanastomosis)
- Thyroid disease
A woman is most fertile in her early 20s. This likelihood drops greatly after age 35 (and especially after age 40). The age when fertility starts to decline varies from woman to woman.
Male infertility may be due to:
- Low sperm count and/or motility
- Blockage that prevents the sperm from being released
- Defects in the sperm
Male infertility can be caused by:
- Birth defects
- Cancer treatments, including chemotherapy and radiation
- Exposure to high heat for prolonged periods
- Heavy use of alcohol, marijuana, or cocaine
- Hormone imbalance
- Older age
Infertility problems and miscarriage rates increase significantly after 35 years of age. There are now options for early egg retrieval and storage for women in their 20’s. This will help ensure a successful pregnancy if childbearing is delayed until after age 35.
To know more about primary infertility treatments, call PRC Los Angeles Metro at 866-423-2645. Pacific Reproductive Center has been successfully aiding conception for over two decades.